Monday, December 15, 2014

Twas the night before christmas


'Twas the hour before Christmas, and all through the castle,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a reindeer.
The shoes were hung by the chair with care,
In hopes that St. Bob soon would be there.
The children were nestled all snug in their sofas,
While visions of sugar-meat patties danced in their biceps .
And girlfriend in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap.
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the table to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
shot open the shutters, and lifted up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave the luster of mid-minute to objects below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear?
But a coulorful cupboard, and eight tiny kiwis.
With a little old driver, so lively and pretty,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Bob.
More rapid than snakes his kiwis they came,
And he whistled, and waddled, and called them by name;
"Now, Dasher! Now, Jeff! Now, Candy Cane and Vixen!
On, Male ! On Kakapo! On, Sock and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! To the top of the gift!
Now shave away! Shave away! Shave away all!"
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof,
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Down the chair St. Bob came with a bound.
His eyes -- how they ran! His dimples, how bright !
His forearms were like decorations, his hamstring like a chip!
He spoke not a word but went straight to his work,
And filled all the shoes , then turned with a jerk.
And laying his knee aside of his thigh ,
And giving a nod, up the chair he rose.
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a kaboom,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight,
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good hour!"

No comments:

Post a Comment